Thursday, October 2, 2008

I Swear This Isn't Turning Into a Biking Only Blog ;-)

I went for another bike ride today. I was back on the Springwater Trail again, but further west nearer to my 'hood in outer SE Portland. I biked down 92nd & connected to the trail there, rode east to 174th & looped around back home - about 14 miles in all. The trail is interesting in this section because it skirts along industrial, suburban & rural areas. One of my first views wasn't so pretty.



I couldn't tell if this was a garbage dump or a recycling center. It kind of looks like stuff was bailed together according to material.

The view quickly improved! From garbage to greenhouses in only a few blocks!



I ran across one of my favorite little creatures - fuzzy wuzzy caterpillars! I had totally forgotten about these guys while I was living in LA, but they are thick in Portland this time of year. They really are as soft as they look & have the honor of being one of very few types of bugs I like. This little guy was bookin along! I had a hard time getting a clear picture of him.



A little further east, it's easy to forget you are only about 10 miles from downtown Portland! I love the little pockets of rural life that manage to survive suburbanization.



Hard to believe this area is well within the Portland city limits & look at that sky!



I'm having a great time rediscovering my hometown. I have a job interview tomorrow (& the rain is supposed to be coming down pretty hard), so probably no biking for me.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Biking blog would be okay as long as you continue to give us such great photos. You are an excellent photographer....Thanks for sharing with us non-bikers :-)
RK

Anonymous said...

That is great that you biked again. Did you bring the fuzzy guy home for Riley? I think she would love it. It cracks me up the mental image of you trying to catch him as he was "bookin" along. I too love those little pockets of rural life that have managed to not get squeezed out.

Hoping the job interview works out for you.

Look forward to all the fun we will have tomorrow at The Pomeroy house pumpkin/scarecrow festival. Good times!!!

Anonymous said...

You really are a biking fool. I to like to bike, but am more of a fair weather biker, as my bike has no fenders. A couple years back I got a pair of rain pants and jacket and rode alot in the rain. It was kinda fun...I don't know if I am up for that or not this year,as I am getting a little older. You sure take pretty pictures along that trail, it is one of the best places to ride bike. skz

Beck said...

I love those fuzzy guys!! I'm jealous, I sooooo want your energy! ;O)

Sarah J. said...

I hope you had good luck with your interviews :) And here's hoping the rain holds off!

Julie said...

I ran over a fuzzy today. I named him smoosh.

Anonymous said...

I think Julie has a dark side...
RK

Anonymous said...

RK ~ Tell me you aren't just figuring that out about Julie now?!? HeeHee!!!

Anonymous said...

Well Candice I think I have known for sometime, but I keep praying for her :-)
RK