Monday, September 29, 2008

Today's Field Trip

I decided I better take advantage of what would probably be the last 80+ degree day of the year & get outside. My Aunt Sandra was nice enough to go for a bike ride with me on the Springwater Trail.



We started in Gresham's Main City Park, rode up to the end of the paved path near Boring, turned around & rode back to Linnemann Station, turned around again & rode back to Main City Park, about 10 miles in all.

The weather was gorgeous, but the high clouds had already started to roll in. Probably the last we will see of the sun until next July! We saw blue jays, robins, a cute little chipmunk, fuzzy black & orange caterpillars & a couple of bunny rabbits. My flash made this little guy look possessed, but he was very nice & let me get pretty close before he scampered into the under brush.



Back when I was little the Springwater Trail was still a working railroad track. It's pretty neat to see how well it's been transformed into a very nice mixed use trail. It's a part of the 40 Mile Loop, which was originally proposed in 1904 by the Olmsted Brothers to circle Portland & link it's many parks. A little over a hundred years later, it's almost complete. Better late than never, right?

I do love to bike (not cycle, as I avoid brightly colored spandex at all costs) & I once again live in one of the most pro-bike cities in the country, so I better get out there & explore all the paths & trails at my disposal!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice picture of the trail and of the bunny. No today will also be a good day and you know what they say...the worst day in Portland is still better than the best day anywhere else.(as long as it does not snow or sleet).
Enjoy the riding and the trails many times....
RK

Sarah J. said...

It sounds like you had a great day. You know, I don't think I've ever actually seen a bunny in the wild. Lucky you!

Alicia said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog.
Um. Is there really a town in Oregon called Boring? Boring, OR? hahahaha. Is it boring?
I like your pictures, its been sort of gloomy here in NYC the past few days, nice to see sun.

Anonymous said...

You are a wealth of info about the trail. Ooh I haven't seen a fuzzy caterpillar in ages. You should have brought it home for Ri she would have loved it! I disagree with RK we must have some snow this year. I am o.k. with it just on the weekends, but I do want some. Hope you get some more biking in soon.

Anonymous said...

I had a great time riding with you. I always love a good bike ride and the weather was perfect. Auntie

Anonymous said...

I should have learned to ride a bike better. It sounds like fun & good exercise. O.k. perhaps next time I am at your home I am going to try your sister's or your bike to see if I actually can ride. I haven't in years & really don't know if I can. Perhaps I could pay Baylee & Synoah for lessons!

Julie said...

Perhaps some day you'll get REALLY ambitious and ride your bike to our office (Chels and me) as the Springwater trail zips right below our office windows. That ride might take some working up too though. ;-)

Tricia said...

Yes there really is a Boring, Oregon. It's a rural little town southeast of Portland. It is not the most exciting place ;-)